Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rhubarb Apple Crisp


And we're back! Sorry for the little break in posting there!

Made this yummy, in season dessert TWO times last week....and forgot to take a picture!! Crazy I know, but I guarantee it was a hit each time with every guest:) Rhubarb is in abundance this time of year...so I thought this would make for a useful post! I just planted our first rhubarb plant in the garden this year...and apparently they spread like fire...so in about 5 years I'll likely be begging some of you to take stocks off my hands!

Hope you enjoy this as much as we did! It goes without saying that vanilla ice-cream compliments this dessert well:)

This dessert is so healthy, the leftovers make for a great breakfast the next morning!

Rhubarb Apple Crisp


makes enough for one average size casserole/pyrex pan

Filling:

8 cups coarsely chopped rhubarb
5 cups coarsely chopped apples
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp cinnamon

Topping:
6-8 cups of quick cooking oats (depending on how much you like the topping!)
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup slivered almonds (optional...but so good!)

Coat the dish with about 2 Tbsp of melted butter. Add the filling and mix together. In a separate bowl, mix the topping together and sprinkle over the filling. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until the fruit is softened. Serve warm from the oven.

ENJOY!

...I think shredded coconut would also be great in the topping...maybe I'll try that next time!

**I'm worried that altitude may be effecting this recipe...a reader had hers turn out very dry...if this is a concern try adding about a cup of unsweetened applesauce to the apple/rhubarb mixture before baking:)

No comments:

Post a Comment