Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Breakfast Cookies


I don't know about you...but I love the fact that I could eat these for breakfast everyday, and still feel great! I'm always tempted by those other 'Breakfast Cookies' that you see for sale in coffee shops...but I also know that they aren't actually good for me, so I stay away:)

So that's what the inspiration for these was. These are amazing...they feel like a treat...and can really be eaten anytime of day. They freeze amazingly...and even taste best straight from the freezer!

It's possible to make a ton of variations on this recipe, depending on your taste buds. Today I used a mix of dried blueberries, raw sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips. I wanted to add pecans, but forgot! I cut back on the almond flour, and add in oats...we like oats and it saves a little on the almond flour...but you can feel free to make them only with the flour (just add the extra 1/2 cup) and they will turn out great!

Enjoy!...I hope our house guests this weekend will!!!

Breakfast Cookies

2 cups of almond flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup of coconut oil or melted butter
1/2 cup of maple syrup or honey
1 egg
1 tablespoon of vanilla
2 cups of nuts, dried fruit, seeds (or anything else your heart desires)

Directions

1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add the wet ingredients and blend it well with a spoon.
3. Drop a golf ball size portion onto the cookie sheet, flatten slightly.
4. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes depending on the size. I make these quite large so that they are a complete breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. Some of the cookies crumbled really easily. Like you couldn't even pick them up. I wonder if I made it wrong, or is that how they turn out? for the 2 cups of nuts etc, I added pumpkin, hemp, flax seeds, chopped walnuts, raisins and a very small amount of chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...that's not fun! I would say they are considered a more delicate cookie, for sure, but you can still pick them up and store them normally. Did they just not hold or where they too dry?

    ReplyDelete