Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vegetarian Split-Pea Soup

My absolutely favourite go-to big-batch soup this year!  I've always loved Split-Pea Soup...but it's always impossible to get it without ham.  We aren't pork eaters in this house.  I've thought of just trying to make it without the 'hock' or whatever part of the pig you are supposed to use...but assumed you would miss out on amazing flavour.  Back before Nate was born I was collecting recipes to cook and fill my freezer with...and I found this one!  I was hopeful and made a triple batch of it...we loved it...it freezes amazing...and it's been made many many many times since!  In fact I think I made a quadruple batch the morning of the day I had Nate...I thought maybe the midwives would get hungry and need something to eat?!  His 38 minute labour and delivery didn't leave time for anyone to stop and eat soup!  Ha!  But it sure came in handy the days that followed:)  Hope your house enjoys it too!

Oh...and one of my favourite things about this soup...other than being healthy and simple...it's so affordable!  My guess it that is costs me about $10 to make my massive pot full...and that's using all organic ingredients.  That's always a good thing:)

VEGETARIAN SPLIT_PEA SOUP
slightly adapted from here

INGREDIENTS:
8 cups veggie broth
3 cups dry split peas
4 large carrots, sliced
8 stalks celery, sliced
1 red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
 
DIRECTIONS:
1.  Heat oil in pot.  On a low heat, add onions, garlic, carrots and celery.  Let cook until soft.
2.  Add all remaining ingredients.  Bring pot to a boil.
3.  Reduce heat and let cook until peas are soft...stirring often to avoid burning at the bottom of the pot.  Feel free to add more or less broth, or water, depending on the consistency that your family prefers!  Add salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment