Thursday, February 7, 2013

Avocado-Chocolate Chip Muffins

I was SO excited to get a subscription to Clean Eating magazine this Christmas!  I rarely rarely buy magazines....just can't justify the cost...but when I'm traveling or wanting a treat...this magazine is usually what I go for.  My friend Sindy had told me about an amazing Avocado-Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe that Clean Eating featured...and I couldn't wait to try it!  Little did I know that the copy of Clean Eating that I had picked up on a stop-over while in Vancouver airport over the holidays was outdated (October!) when I got around to reading it...being of January...and had this recipe in it!  Really...did I honestly think that while traveling to Ontario by myself with an almost 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 4 week old that I'd have time to read a magazine!?  The 3hrs we sat on the plane and waited for "unknown reasons" while in Vancouver may have been the ideal time to pull my magazine out and highlight everything I want to try cooking?!  Ya right...with three little boys!  Or the 4 hour flight after that?  Or the 2 hour car ride to my parents after that?  Oh what an adventure that day was!  Phew!  But we survived and all was good.  Our boys did amazing (in hind-sight...haha)...and my magazine was left untouched:(

Enough about the drama...these muffins are every bit as amazing as Sindy said they were.  Kids love them...adults love them...they are filled with nutrition...and the best part...they are nut free so you can pack them in your kid's lunch!  I find that so challenging.  Most things we eat at home have some form of nuts or nut butter in them...so when it comes to school or daycare at the gym...I really struggle to come up with nutritional snacks that will fill them up and not just be empty calories.  The only hastle with this recipe for me is that you need to have a ripe avocado.  We are all lovers of avocado and guacamole in this house...so ripe avocados go fast!  I need to start hiding one or two when I buy them so I can use them to make these muffins again!  And incase your kids aren't fond of avocados...you can't taste them at all in these muffins.  I'd recommend pureeing the avocado to make sure there is no green flecks...that way they won't even know:)

Hope your family enjoys these as much as we did!  They are healthy, simple, super moist and taste decadent.  That's exactly what I love in a muffin:)  What's your favourite muffin recipe?



Avocado-Chocolate Chip Muffins
slightly adapted from Clean Eating, October 2012...page 22

INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup chia seeds (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed (or pureed if you want no chunks visible)
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips...I use these

DIRECTIONS
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, chia, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3.  In a smaller bowl whisk eggs, oil, avocado, banana and vanilla.  Add to flour mixture.  Stir until just combined.  This mixture may seem really thick...that's normal.  Fold in chocolate chips.
4.  Spoon batter in muffin cups.  Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the centre.

I stored ours in the fridge...they are really moist so I was worried about molding...they would freeze well too I'm sure.  Ours didn't last long enough to bother!

No comments:

Post a Comment