Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The New Favourite Cookie! Oatmeal PB Chocolate Chunk

sorry...I know I said I would post summer recipes...but these are just too good not to share! I'll try adding a picture one day...the cookies don't last long enough around here to get a chance to pull the camera out!

Oatmeal PB Chocolate Chunk Cookies (sooooo chewy!)

2 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter (I think coconut oil would work too!)
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
2 large free range eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips/chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl combine oats, flour and baking soda.
In a separate bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in agave. Mix in peanut butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until combined. Fold in chocolate.
Roll dough into golf ball sized balls, flatten slightly with hand or fork.
Bake for 8 minutes. Let set for a few minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
Makes 2 dozen!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Steph, thank you so much for sharing one of your many talents with us.
    Please check in to Agave as this is what I found on Mercola:

    Many people interested in staying healthy have switched to agave as a safer "natural" sweetener. They want to avoid well documented dangerous sweeteners like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but are unaware that most agave is actually WORSE than HFCS

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps i tried it with almond butter....yummy. merci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Sylvia! Yes...we did get that article from Mercola too. From his perspective I felt that they only 'good enough' form of a sweetener was fresh fruit...which is true...but everyone needs a little cookie now and then, right??!! Agave is definitely something to use in moderation. I find it just works nice for this recipe...keeps things really chewy without making it too sweet (I find honey does that sometimes). I did find it interesting too that he said "most agave"...hmm...makes me wonder if he's talking about poor quality brands that over-process it, changing the properties in it? Interesting:)

    ReplyDelete