Monday, October 4, 2010

Fun Shaped Graham Cracker Cookies!



Okay...so this new healthy recipe was supposed to be a lovely addition to Levi's Giraffe Themed FIRST Birthday Party we hosted on Sunday...but..the whole idea of a giraffe cookie cutter just isn't a good thing I realized very quickly! WAY too long of a neck and too skinny of a tail! After about half a dozen, I gave up! Still needed to use up this wonderful dough that I had made...so I grabbed my TWO boxes of cookie cutters (used to teach Kindergarten...kinda goes with the trade!)..and told Noah to pick out his favourites...and that he did! It was a fun event for both of us! The picture isn't too wonderful, but the cookies taste great...were pretty simple to make, and are now a fun and healthy homemade snack for Noah to look forward to! He loves choosing between trains, airplanes, buses, circles, hands or cars to eat!

Graham Cracker Cookies

2 1/2 Cups Spelt Flour
1/4 Cup Dark Brown Cane Sugar, packed
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Butter, chilled & cubed (sub in Coconut Oil and these are vegan)
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor or mixer combine the first 6 ingredients.
3. Add cubed butter to the mix and pulse/mix until it resembles coarse meal.
4. Add honey and water and continue to mix until it all combines.
5. Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk
6. Roll dough out until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into crackers or shapes.
7. Bake for 12 minutes.
8. Cool and serve

These would freeze really well too!

2 comments:

  1. you used dark brown cane sugar, tell me what this is? Is this different from rapdura or sucanant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually had a lot of questions about this!! It's exactly that...dark brown cane sugar...which I used because I had it on hand. It's the same as cane sugar or sucanant with a bit of molasses added...just to intensify the flavour I would think:) Use whatever form of sweetener you have or desire...and then just add a spoonful of molasses! Should do the trick:) I'm going to actually try them today with just the honey, and then a spoonful of molasses...skip the "sugar" altogther...I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete