Tuesday, July 19, 2011

One-Pot Macaroni with Garden Fresh Vegetables


It's been so overcast and cool here today that it kinda got me thinking that I should do something with the ground beef in my freezer. Normally in Summer we tend to BBQ out with some meat and veggies...but it just didn't feel right for today:)

This meal is great...and sure to please all the males in your house!! Levi normally consumes anything resembling food, but he was done his first portion before Noah even started!! That's gotta stand for something?! It was a hit, nonetheless. The best part was I prepared and cooked the entire thing in under 30 minutes. The second best thing was that I had everything in my pantry or garden to make this dish:)

Feel free to omit or sub any of the veggies...or even chop them tiny so your kids won't notice them;)...a great way to use up surplus from your garden! I can see myself making double and triple batches of this one day for our growing boys and all their friends! One that note...this dish would also freeze well!

ps...I couldn't help but mention that this dish totally resembles Hamburger Helper...talk about a blast from the past...only it's about 150% better for you!!

One-Pot Macaroni with Garden Fresh Vegetables

1 lb lean ground beef (I used bison)
1 chopped onion
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 chopped red pepper
3 chopped carrots
1 tsp each oregano & basil...dried or fresh from the garden!
1/2 tsp salt & pepper
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 cups brown rice macaroni (roughly half the bag)

In large pot or pan saute ground meat over medium heat...cook until no longer pink.

Add everything except the tomatoes and macaroni...cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes and 3 cups of water...bring to a boil...add macaroni.

Reduce heat and cover...simmer...stir occasionally...until pasta is al dente (a slight crunch).

Feel free to garnish with a sharp grated cheese (I would have if we had some in the fridge!!)...and fresh chopped basil:)

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment