Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Soft Chocolate Almond Quinoa Biscotti


Another fabulous recipe altered a wee bit from my new cookbook Quinoa. I'm always tempted by Biscotti...however they are not a favourite of Jay's...until about five minutes ago when he tried the first one! "These are great"...with a bit of a shocking tone to his voice...were the exact words I do believe! What makes Jay a fan of them is that they are a bit on the soft side and not rock hard like most...and that he dipped his in whip cream:)!!!

We are enjoying these in this very moment, with a lovely Americano coffee...and the boys are both in the toy room building towers together...I love this moment:)

I couldn't help but think how pretty these would look wrapped in a cello bag, tied with a ribbon...would make a lovely, neighbourly, wholesome Christmas gift!

ENJOY!

Soft Chocolate Almond Quinoa Biscotti

1 1/2 cups slivered almonds, lightly toasted
1 1/2 cups quinoa flour
1/2 cup flour (I used spelt)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional...I used a chopped up dark chocolate bar we had laying around)
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract (I didn't use)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Toast the almonds on a baking sheet on the top rack for 6-8 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Combine the quinoa and spelt flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Gently stir in the cooled almonds and chocolate chips.

Cream together the butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extract and blend both mixtures together well.

Lightly spray a baking sheet (or line with parchment...that's what I do). Divide the dough in half and roll it into long logs that are the same length as the baking sheet. Dampen your hands and lightly pat the dough to flatten it to 3/4 inch thickness. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Place both pieces of dough on the baking sheet and bake on the center oven rack for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to touch. Slice each log into 1 inch pieces. Place the slices on the same baking sheet and bake an additional 5 minutes on each side. Remove from the oven and cool. Store in a sealed bag or container for up to 8 weeks.

***Remember that blissful moment about 5 minutes ago that I described with my boys playing nicely on their own???!! Ya...far gone...just found them both in the powder room brushing their hair with the toilet brush...yuck yuck yuck...time to hit the tub!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie, it's Simone. I was the other photographer with Daniela yesterday. She told me about your blog and sent me your link and I was immediately hooked. Recently, I cut meat out of my diet and made a decision to cut out as much processed food as possible. It's been quite tough with 4 kids who have quite the particular palet. Thank The Lord they love their veggies and fruit or else.... lol!
    Anyway, I've been quite intimidated and hesitant to try to new recipes according to our new way of eating. It probably doesn't help that I hate cooking. I would rather bake. Your recipes have given me hope and they don't seem complicated at all. I can't wait to try these out and see what else you introduce to your readers. Just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing. You can add another faithful reader to your list. ;)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Simone!! Great to meet you again yesterday...and to bump into you on my blog as well!! I hope you enjoy what you see....and more importantly that your kids do too!! The Quinoa cookbook that I reference a lot lately is now available at Costco, so I'm told....and I think you have a bit of an 'in' there ??!!! Quinoa is an awesome source of protein! The recipes I've tried from it, so far, are pretty simple and yummy:)
    Blessings to you and your family as well! I LOVE to hear that people are reading and trying what I post....so thank-you:)
    steph

    ReplyDelete